Here lies my more serious side and personal reflections of my ongoing spiritual journey. Please read this page for more on why and what I write. Soli Deo gloria

Wednesday, 19 September 2007

Programmes: Johnny Vegas’s Guide To Evangelical Christianity

With respectable candour and openness Johnny Vegas explores a small number of Evangelical communities for answers and to his Catholic childhood and present life and I for one am hoping and praying that he finds them.

The episode focuses on his visit to a Christian community in Colorado where for once in these types of programmes he actually meets some Christians who don’t portray themselves as dense but actually show a heart-warming pursuit of truth and passion in their relationship with Christ. This included one rather top-notch minister who had the opportunity to share some words of love and wisdom with Johnny and the crew.

Yet what touched me most was his earnest searching attitude conflicting with the famishing cravings he thought he needed to give up before he turned to Christ. Instead I hope he realises that this need not be so. That all these things would, over a lifetime, take their place, after he first allows Jesus to take over and help him in his struggle to discover and become his true self. Johnny himself sums up some of his thoughts in some wise words near the end of the documentary:
Until now it was a sin I didn’t think God would forgive. Today I’ve realised, for the first time in a long time, that I’m not in essence a bad person, just a conflicted one.

It’s a lot simpler than people would have you believe. I want to go to the pub; but I think I’ll go and I’ll have the happiest pint I’ve had in a long time. I’m gonna thank God for the beer, thank God for the brewer, thank God for the waitress who brought it over and just enjoy it.

I went out there to make this open ended film. And I’ve come back and I feel like Peter and the cock crowing and sort of going yeah but your still gonna deny me.


It’s almost like God and drink are one and the same. In that I will always have a confusing relationship with them.

No comments: