This is just a haphazard and humble query about your Beer and Carols event which I saw on Facebook… (one of those spur of the moment messages one regularly thinks is a good idea but hardly often bothers) … whether your carol event is planned to be a welcoming environment where outsiders can sing familiar carols alongside those that already revere Jesus who “made himself nothing” yet who is “highly exalted”… or whether it could end up like the drunken brawl (Greenbelt) style beer and hymns which I would argue encourages participants to take too lightly worship of a God – who not only calls for us to worship and revere Him but also in many ways has shown us specific and broader ways in which we should do so.
There are areas in which we are meant to be counter cultural, things that are meant to remain set-apart and holy and surely worship and reverence fall within this (I think the first 5 instances of “worship” in the bible include bowing not to mention how frightful instances like 2Sam 6v7 are for those disregarding/ignorant of God’s specific guidance, revelations and commands - Jn14:15).
I agree with you (and Luther) that beer is good, and that gin and wine are better. But if your plans for your carol event, for the sake of appeal, rush to introduce an environment of worship that would be alien to how those in the bible and our forefathers worshiped – and moreover I would argue how the bible teaches us to worship God in His own way not ours – then please pray and converse and consider scripture with me…
…If your plans are instead to cast a wide net to those who like carols and a relaxed drink or two (but don’t know Jesus) to come and celebrate Immanuel with Christians who sing with awe of such grace then I hope many come and meet Him… and only implore that you don’t serve bad wine.
I’ll make sure to say hello the next time I’m at XXXXXXX; may you and your fellowship there grow in joy and wisdom, grace and Christlikeness.
James
No comments:
Post a Comment