Here lies my more serious side and personal reflections of my ongoing spiritual journey. Please read this page for more on why and what I write. Soli Deo gloria

Wednesday, 6 August 2008

Thoughts: Discipling

Jesus said, "Go and make disciples..." and as important as evangelism is we seem to only seem to refer to this verse when talking about it but rarely use it to spur discipling. If you're a youth or children's worker or volunteer, a mentor, a Christian parent or minister be encouraged and continue to be encouraged that Jesus has directed and prayed over your ministry.

But if you have yet to find younger Christian brothers and sisters with whom you can share your joys and struggles with, study the bible and pray together; if you have not been willing to ask an older Christian to guide and share with you their knowledge and love of God, then you are avoiding one of Jesus' commands, and one that he demonstrated so patiently with the disciples. He also said, "Those that love me will obey my commands."

Recently I've been lethargic with reading and studying Christian literature. If I hold my arms out wide I could just about fit in-between them all the books I have, but have not read. Childishly I’ve struggled to see why I should read them, and I’ve had lacking enthusiasm to study the Bible, as I seem to love God and need to find more time to serve him and... disciple others. Writing this is revealing just how distorted my thought have become.

The morning thought crunch line being; aren’t we a part of this chain of experiences, wisdom, knowledge and so much more? Which lends to; are we to think up the good life for ourselves or look to others who looked to others who...? If so who should we look to?

My lack of bogging recently is because I haven’t felt I had anything original, but if I though this earlier I probably wouldn’t have anything at all. I guess that any original inspirations that I’ve noted here are only original to those like me who are not widely read enough. But I am not discouraged.

See, now I have a rekindled inspiration to be discipled; by the living and the dead, in person and on paper; and it is because of the bigger picture. Maybe I don’t need know more experiences and thoughts of others about God at the moment... but others might benefit from them, or I may do later on. Maybe I wouldn’t loose out through dismissing from my memory thoughts and struggles and experiences of God, but others might.

I do not want to amass a knowledge that will die with me. Whilst being fuelled by the growing knowledge of the greatness of god which I thirst for when I study, today I note it my privilege to continue to direct and be directed to the best bits of history and teachings and to remember and share my experiences and struggles concerning them. May you too find encouragement and pray for strength to follow this great command.

And now I must quickly shower and dress for work.

No comments: