Here lies my more serious side and personal reflections of my ongoing spiritual journey. Please read this page for more on why and what I write. Soli Deo gloria

Tuesday, 28 August 2007

Experiences: Greenbelt 07

I literally just arrived back from Greenbelt about half an hour ago with a surprisingly dark tan, a surprisingly dry tent but most surprisingly a challenged perspective on some of my previous core, although basic, beliefs of ecclesiology; not about the beliefs that define a church but the rituals that define one.
In an era of rapid social change and of notable attitudinal shifts, the contemporary Church has been challenged to reflect upon, and to articulate its self-understanding in ways that are faithful to its tradition and, at the same time, comprehensible to people today, open to the insights of secular disciplines, and alert to needs for justice and compassion.

Surrounded by beautiful weather, scenery and friends; the fabulous performances from Soweto Kinch, Delirious, Coldcut; the experience of beer and hymns, long walks and camping food; Greenbelt for me was nothing short of a blessed burst of revitalisation (with the exception of the camping food and the lack of showers). But what was different was the liberal approach and openness for seminars and acts to come from any perspective. Greenbelt itself seems to possess no core doctrine other than Jesus is king and everyone should come and ask questions and share their opinions. This is a great idea on paper but dangerous, and in all honest this sense of this danger on arrival was strong enough for me to contemplate leaving on the first day.

Greenbelt actually seems to mirror more accurately the ancient traditions of Christianity where both prophets and false prophets each were allowed their own sounding board and the crowd themselves had to discern for themselves what was right and wrong. I think this touches on a disturbing problem in our churches; that because of the stringent filtering concerning those who gets to share their opinion (preach/lead worship...) everyone apart from those leaders doing the filtering are then expected to wholly believe and agree with what is said thus their isn’t enough personal probing and questioning. I think the fact that I was so used to agreeing with almost everything said up front, coming to somewhere where I only actually agreed with at most 60% of what I heard was a new experience and somewhat alarming to my natural instinct.

If I were to recommend anything it would be to find a way of preparing those that come to be more discerning which is a trait which is slowly diminishing in both Christian and non-Christian social-spheres. Then the Christians wouldn’t feel uncomfortable for the wrong reasons and would more intrinsically understand that the speakers’ views may only be theirs and nothing more but alongside that their own views may also be mistaken. Also the non-Christians would be able to discern what they agree with and what they disagree with, preventing non-core doctrine discouraging their entry into the kingdom; this however leads me to another problem. Unless Greenbelt agree on some core doctrine and express it effectively to all that experience their festival some may wrongly believe they can simply disregard these along with the cultural and denominational interpretations. For this reason I can neither acknowledge or condone Greenbelts beliefs or views simply because it seems to Joe Public that they themselves as leaders and a trust have none.

More importantly it was great to see the creativity of some amazing artist including God and his scenery when climbing the hills of Cheltenham, to spend time with great friends and to be inspired to remember the importance of resting, enjoying, questioning and listening and to have a chance to do them all.

1 comment:

Wings of Eagles said...

Well hello there James Edwards! I knew I'd find your blog one day!!!
Hope all goes great with you in this next season of your life. Maybe see you at Sawyers sometime.
Bless ya!
Paula