Here lies my more serious side and personal reflections of my ongoing spiritual journey. Please read this page for more on why and what I write. Soli Deo gloria

Sunday, 12 August 2007

Stories: Robert Robinson

Robert Robinson wrote many wonderful hymns yet later in his life he wandered from his faith and rejected the God he once trusted. In his years of wandering he became attached to this particular young woman. And on their travels one day she questioned him on a piece of writing she had come across; and to his astonishment she was showing him his very own composition that had challenged her so deeply. After she persisted in getting an answer he finally broke and began to weep; and with tears running down his face he told her, 'I was the man that wrote that hymn. I would give anything to experience the joy I knew then.'.

She was supprised but assured him that, 'The streams of mercy which he once talked about, they still flow now.'. Robert Robinson was deeply touched and he turned his wandering heart to Christ and he was fully restored.

Come, Thou Fount of every blessing,
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
Call for songs of loudest praise.

Jesus sought me when a stranger,
Wandering from the face of God;
He to save my soul from danger,
Interposed His precious blood;

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I’m constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.

Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.

O that day when freed from sinning,
I shall see Thy lovely face;
Clothed then in blood washed linen
How I’ll sing Thy sovereign grace;
Come, my Lord, no longer tarry,
Take my ransomed soul away;
Send thine angels now to carry
Me to realms of endless day.

No comments: