Here lies my more serious side and personal reflections of my ongoing spiritual journey. Please read this page for more on why and what I write. Soli Deo gloria

Friday, 8 June 2007

Lessons: What it takes to rediscover compassion

For the last 36 hours I've barely been out of my room. After finally ridding myself of a cough that I had for the last month I've found myself with serious headaches and stomach pains that seem to be taking it in turns to properly stress me out.

For context; I've got 3 maths exams next week I need to be studying for and as much as I tried to get on with it but the only thing I got from my books was the comforting coolness of their pages on my face as I gave up reading them in bed, also Church is busy this weekend and this week and missing a day of study, maybe two, is really frustrating. Not this and certainly not now!

But, actually, compared with most my life is little less than perfect. I've been so fortunate to not be ill for quite some time that I forgot what it feels like. Good for me, but bad for my friends. I forgot how nice it is to be cared for and visited when you're feeling like crap. Many of my friends have recently gone through serious hardships and on reflection there's been very little effort on my part to be there for them, to be there with them. If you are one of those people will you please forgive me.

But that's the past, and I can do naught about it. What I must learn from now is how to be compassionate (to suffer with), to realise the importance of being there and to realise this from the perspective of the one who is hurting. Maybe being ill was what was needed to begin this lesson, hopefully the next exercise will not involve as much stress and aspirin; but whatever it is, it will be worth it if, from it, I can loose this inability to care for others which I can sense is still somewhat evident in my life.

No comments: