Here lies my more serious side and personal reflections of my ongoing spiritual journey. Please read this page for more on why and what I write. Soli Deo gloria

Wednesday, 13 June 2007

Experiences: Youth work quality or quantity

Because of exams and being seriously ill I haven't been at Church much the past week but this evening I was helping run the make a movie night. Our Youth Ministry Leader questioned whether; not being able to do socials every week but alternating socials and cell groups meant that we weren't reaching as many young people. I wish it were possible to be able to personally disciple 5000 people but there isn't enough time in a single person's life to do so. And it's the same when you've only got a small team.

We, at Sawyers Church, have a basic principle of discipleship that pretty much follows Jesus' example. To remind ourselves of the different influences we have over our 5000, our 12 and our 3; just as Jesus preached to the 5000, disciples the 12 and cherished the 3. If we think we can do any more we will discover to be very much mistaken.

Yes a few young people aren't coming as regularly as before but every second I spend with my young people nowadays seems to be so much more encouraging and energising. And it's because I'm able to be more personal and be a friend rather than a youth worker. And with only 12 young people at the social (bearing in mind it being exam time) it was great to see how creative some of them are and how friendships, care and respect for one another is finally coming about. I hope and pray that we will have the resources to continue and soon expand what we are able to do for our young people.

I would rather see a handful of young people actually get it than 100 young people in a church building simply because we have pool tables and PS2 race car controllers. I still wish that the young people that are slowly slipping through our fingers might just realise how much we are hurting for them.

No comments: