Here lies my more serious side and personal reflections of my ongoing spiritual journey. Please read this page for more on why and what I write. Soli Deo gloria

Wednesday, 25 July 2007

Experiences: Momentum 2007

Back from Momentum. It was rainy, it was muddy and I didn't bring wellies. One night I slept outside in the rain with my fabulous 'almost' waterproof sleeping bag another the sky was the clearest I've ever seen it in my life. Over the whole week I didn't wake up later than 7am and mostly it was a few hours before that, I went to almost all the main meetings and around half the seminar slots, including one where I met next years 'Nottingham University Christian Union Cripps Hall Small Group Leader'.

It was quite a coincidence to meet Katherine who may be my cell leader next year and it has made me more optimistic of what is to come. Yet it struck me again that I would be older than even those in the year above me, and what this implies. I know I will have much to learn from those already having experienced more of university life but I must find the balance between leaning upon my experiences from two years of full-time Church youth work and remembering my lack of experience of University. I'm worried that I won't be humble enough to be involved at a low level if I feel the CU is poorly run. This however seems to feel less and less likely as the move draws closer. Praise God!

Anyway at Momentum it was:
Humbling - to see who I thought was Lindz (LZ7 and from the World Wide Message Tribe) singing as a backing vocalist.
Challenging - to see the leadership qualities and maturity in Andrew Croft one of the main speakers there who is my age.
Encouraging - to read and the bios and testimonies of all the speakers and hear so many experiences of God; both difficult and inspiring.
Questionable - how much worship people were singing yet with very little praying, reading, studying, witnessing (eg. to the foot court workers by keeping it clean) and such like. (It felt like singing love songs to a wife all day when she's starting to get frustrated that you haven't gone to work, done the dishes, looked after the kids or even taken the time to chat with her; all you are doing is screaming out of tune in her face without giving her a chance to respond and tell you how meaningless some of your words actually are)
Worrying - to see so few up in the mornings or evenings studying their Bible or in the prayer room, or signing up for missions or sponsorship in the 'Tool shed'
Exciting - to see a glimps of 'The Pause Tour' from they guys in 29th Chapter. A great use of acting, rap, monologue and other media to raise and ansqwe many questions that surround the Christian faith. I look forward to 2008 and the many possibilities that so may are trying to grasp hold of. May God be in and of them all. There seems to be much that will go on in my first year of university and I hope I am orgamised and prepared enough to do my part.
Inspiring - to hear how some of the speakers (especially those from RZIM) used apologetics and how effective it can be in casting away doubts of believes and unbelievers alike. (So much so that I've decided to go on one of their 4 day courses to develop the, much needed skill, for myself.

No comments: