Here lies my more serious side and personal reflections of my ongoing spiritual journey. Please read this page for more on why and what I write. Soli Deo gloria

Monday, 2 July 2007

Experiences: Back in Malaysia 2

Day 7 - After writing the last entry I went for breakfast with my cousin who took me shopping so I could get some presents and a traditional Chinese Kung Fu shirt which I did after she haggled down the price for me. We then went shopping for equipment for her going to Peru on a medical elective with a Christian Organisation. After that my other cousin took us to a nightclub, I hadn't been 'clubbing' in ages and it felt a little alien but everyone seemed to have a great time. I don't think my cousins new I don't really drink much and probably had more beer that night than in my whole life and by that I only had 3 or 4.

Day 8 - Dim-sum for breakfast followed by a trip to Nottingham University Malaysia and trip up the KL Tower. At night we hit went to a bar with a mediocre live band and what seemed like gang members ‘protecting’ peoples cars for money which basically meant if you didn’t give them money they would wreck your vehicle or your person.

Day 9 - My uncle took me and my cousin to visit Genting Highlands where the highest Hotel in Malaysia is and also the largest licensed Casino spot. After we had dinner with my Auntie’s cell group (around 50 people) and despite the pressure to eat durian (the smelliest fruit on the planet that it is was forbidden to even store it in our last hotel) they were very nice people. I remembered how hard it is to have Non-Christians in the family not because they’re bad or anything like that but the thought that someone that shares your blood is missing out on the hope and joy that we others feel every day. Maybe soon my uncle will see through all the rubbish that surrounds so many churches and Christians and see that its foundations root from love and a deeper understanding of reality. After I managed to spend the whole night with loads of my 2nd cousins and put together a contact list and family tree. Before this I didn’t even know the names of my grandparents and the names I knew I weren’t even sure if they were boys or girls.

Day 10 – A long flight home, fortunately an in-flight equivalent of On-Demand TV and a friendly Australian lady kept me from loosing my mind. After plucking up the courage to initiate the conversation, knowing I would be sat next to her for the next 12 hours, we chatted about a lot of things; mostly about travelling and family but a little about faith and alike. I don’t feel like I did much but at least I did a little. Hopefully someone else will do the rest. Finally got home and went to bed, my bed.

No comments: