Here lies my more serious side and personal reflections of my ongoing spiritual journey. Please read this page for more on why and what I write. Soli Deo gloria

Thursday, 12 July 2007

Experiences: Sorry No 3rd Gap Year

My farewell for the Sawyers weekly newsletter:
This coming week sees the end of my official involvement with Sawyers Church as “Associate for Youth”. And whatever that title actually means I know it’s been both a challenge and a privilege to serve God over the past 2 years within Sawyers in the ways in which I was able. There are indeed many things I won’t miss: early morning meetings, the constant headhunt for helpers, the headaches from planning Sunday rotas in hope that they don’t interfere with anyone else’s. But this list remains minuscule compared to the many moments I have cherished here and the many friendships I hope to continue as I leave for University.

In this last year especially the privilege of sharing just how exciting it is, even in difficulty, to serve God and persist in chasing a relationship with Him may have enthused some of our teens but it has more so inspired and encouraged me. The challenge of fuelling the faith of others demanded the blessing that my own faith expanded firsthand. Yet it wasn’t without the endless support and smiles of so many of you, to which I say thank you.

Worst moments: having to cancel youth events due to lack of helpers, having to dress up as a sheep in last years pop-in nativity play, eating a scorpion as a challenge at Doubt Your Doubts.

Best moments: the beginning of the new smaller youth cell groups, my surprise birthday party the young people threw on an evening which I was actually leading, lying in an empty field one night basking in the greatness of the starry skies with the young people on a weekend away.

My calling to study physics at Nottingham does not deny my passion for our young people only my time and my prayer for you all will continue, as I hope yours will in me. I leave for student life with a hope that those who God has called to serve our young people in my stead will be inspired by the joy’s it has brought me and won’t hesitate to volunteer themselves in the capacity in which they are able; and I leave knowing that University semesters are much too short and I will find myself frequently back here ‘visiting’ anyway.

May you be always blessed by the peace and grace that we share,

James Edwards
Ex-Associate for Youth at Sawyers Church

No comments: